How to make Shaftalia (Greek Cypriot Sausage)
Sheftalia is a traditional Cypriot food. It's a sausage without skin using caul fat that melts when cooked helping the sheftalia to keep its shape. It is best cooked on charcoal. It can be eaten as an accompaniment or in pitta bread with salad.
Write a review
- 1/2 kg minced pork & 1/2 mince beef. Total 1 kg. You can very this according to your individual preferences, the recipie is not set in stone.
- 4–5 onions, coarsely chopped
- Large bunch of parsley, coarsely chopped
- Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Eggs
- Washed caul fat
- Place the mince, onion and parsley in a large bowl and use hands to mix until well combined. (There should be equal quantities in volume size not weight of mince, onion and parsley, so adjust if necessary.) Add the salt and pepper and combine well.
- Add 4-5 Chopped Onions and mix in.
- Add a large bunch of chopped flat parsley.
- Add the eggs. This will help the mixture bind when it cooks.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well until mixture is dry.
- Roll the sheftalia into their traditional oval shape as in the photo above in preparation for rolling in the caul fat.
- Lay a piece of caul fat on a chopping board. Roll a large golf-ball piece of mixture into an oval shape and place on a corner of the caul. Roll and tuck in with your fingers — the caul fat should cover the mince one and a half times. Cut the caul fat and repeat with remaining mince mixture.
- Sheftalia are best cooked close together on the bar-b-que preferably with lump wood charcoal. Please ensure that the charcoal has had a chance to become white ie no flame, before cooking. Place the grill on the highest level to start and lower as the charcoal cools. Lightly season with salt. Cook, turning and seasoning with more salt, for until browned and just cooked through do not turn too often or too early as the fat will stick. See more photo's & Video on http://www.blogface.co.uk/make-sheftalia/
Blogface Blogs http://www.blogface.co.uk/